Thu March 11, 9am – 5:30pm
Fri March 12, 9am – 5:30pm
The permaculture-inspired property of Tana and Charles Fishman will be the backdrop for this two-day Permaculture Orchard Design workshop. Stefan Sobkowiak will show the benefit of using a diversity of tree species and understory plantings to increase returns through greater yields and reduced inputs. Participate in the design, planning and first steps of implementing the transition of this existing orchard.
You will need to bring lunch (to share if you wish), notebook, camera and a map of your property. Come ready to participate in both presentation style and hands on experiential learning guided by Stefan and others.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided by our hosts. Bring a notebook, camera and a readiness to participate in both presentation style and hands on experiential learning guided by Stefan and others.
Time: 9:00am – 5:30pm both days
$250 per person for the two days ($40 early bird discount available up to Feb 15th).
$135 per person if you can or want to only attend one day
What to expect
The workshop will be tailored to participants interests, but you can expect an introduction to permaculture-inspired orchard systems to be followed by in depth learning and practical activities:
- The economics of a commercial permaculture orchard
- The Magic Model design process – this is why you’ll need your property map
- Three essentials to a vibrant soil
- How your orchard can benefit from birds, insects and animals
- How to see your orchard – develop new observation skills
- Choosing a site – learn some things you may not have thought about
- Planting techniques – do it right, do it once
- Propagation & Grafting – grow your plant stock economically